How to Network Your Way Into Investment Banking in 5 Simple Steps
Here it is – the step-by-process you’ve been waiting for:
(For more free training and financial modeling videos, subscribe to our YouTube channel.)
There’s too much material in this video (email readers, please click through to view) to transcribe here, so here are the highlights – and my evil scheme to incentivize you to watch rather than just skimming through the text:
You need to learn this step-by-step networking process for 3 reasons:
- Networking is actually simpler than most people would have you believe. It’s more about learning the fundamentals and practicing a lot rather than getting your Ph.D. in quantum physics.
- When times are bad, you need networking to find work and to set yourself apart from the thousands of other unemployed financiers.
- But even when times are good, you still need networking to set yourself apart from the thousands of people who suddenly “got interested” in finance.
For our purposes, “networking” refers to 2 strategies:
- Developing relationships with informational interviews, speaking with alumni, going to information sessions, and going on weekend trips.
- Asking for jobs directly via cold-calling.
You might think that these are completely different processes, but there’s a surprising amount of overlap – and the steps in this video apply to both strategies, with a few differences that we’ll point out.
Here’s where you have to watch the video to see the magical 5-step formula that will lead to your success networking.
- Why your “story” must be different from the “story” you tell when interviewing – and how to make sure yours gets results.
- Why you need a “list” from day 1, where to find the names, how to prioritize them, and whether to go for junior or senior bankers.
- The 3 most important points in informational interviews – and why a lot of “conventional” advice is completely wrong.
- Why you need to “train” bankers to expect requests from you – and how to do this from day 1.
- How to make your cold-calls successful, including 2 ninja strategies for getting through to the right people and speaking with them live.
- How and when to follow-up effectively – and how you can “make your ask” without embarrassing yourself or coming across as too aggressive.
Once you’ve watched this video and learned all the steps within, figure out how to apply them to your own situation.
How will you tell your “story” differently? Where will you find names, and who will you contact first? What are you going to request from bankers to “train” them to expect future requests from you?
Don’t wait, and don’t aim for perfection – go for “good enough” and adapt along the way so that you start winning interviews and landing offers.
Free Exclusive Report: 57-page guide with the action plan you need to break into investment banking - how to tell your story, network, craft a winning resume, and dominate your interviews
Read below or Add a comment