What Do Investment Bankers Do?
I’ve seen many explanations of what investment bankers actually do, but they’ve all been either bad or boring.
I can sum up what we do in 2 words and 1 picture:
Investment bankers are agents, just like Ari.
We don’t create anything and we don’t buy anything; we just sell things that aren’t ours to begin with.
If the business world were like Entourage, bankers would be the agents, private equity firms and large companies would be the studios, and companies would be the actors and movies.
Private equity firms buy and sell companies; studios buy and sell actors and movies.
Bankers make introductions and try to sell companies; agents make introductions and sell their clients.
If you look at all the characters in Entourage, it’s hard to argue that Vince doesn’t have the best life.
But it’s not easy to get there and it’s far riskier than being the agent (banker) or the studio (private equity firm).
The agents and the studios, on the other hand, have an easier but less fun job: they must distribute risk so that they don’t get screwed.
“We all start out believing that our clients care about us, but in reality they don’t. There’s only one way to look at clients, Eric. Like stocks. Invest without emotion. Diversify.”
So when choosing a career, don’t ask what job you want.
Ask yourself, “Would I rather be Vince, Ari or the head of Warner?”
If you’re an Ari guy or girl, you might just be a banker.
And If You Haven’t Seen Entourage…
First, you really need to watch Entourage or you have no right to work in finance. So go watch it.
But just in case you haven’t yet: think of investment bankers like real estate agents but for companies instead of houses.
Just as a real estate agent introduces buyers and sellers of property, bankers introduce buyers and sellers of companies and try to make a deal happen.
And just like real estate agents, the only thing at stake is our time – we have no money invested on either side.
But What Will You Do as an Analyst or Associate?
The above is the “high-level” view of what investment bankers do.
As a junior banker, you’re more like Lloyd: you grab coffee for Ari and take care of his grunt work.
To get more of a flavor for what junior investment bankers actually do, see the articles below:
- A Day in the Life of an Investment Banking Analyst – Worst Day
- A Day in the Life of an Investment Banking Analyst – Best Day
- What You Do In Mergers & Acquisitions
- What You Do In Equity Capital Markets
- A Week in the Life of an Investment Banking Analyst
Any more questions?
Just ask away and Lloyd will handle all the responses.
Break Into Investment Banking
Free Access to Exclusive Content for Members Only!
Sign up for The Banker Blueprint today and enjoy:
- Free Report: 37-page guide with the action plan you need to break into investment banking - how to tell your story, network, craft a winning resume, and dominate your interviews.
- Exclusive emailed bonus material.
- Free Banker Blueprint newsletter with more in-depth advice.
- Unlimited access to all articles, videos, and advice - and free updates whenever new content is added to the site.