Investment Banking Recruitment is one of the key topics covered on Mergers & Inquisitions, so below you’ll find all of the recruiting-related articles on the site, sorted by category.
The 4 topics at the top – networking, resumes, interviews, and the recruiting mindset – are the most important, so you should start there.
This is where you’ll find all the tutorials and case studies related to networking – talking to people in real life, as opposed to submitting your resume into a giant black hole online – and using those relationships to win interviews and offers.
Here’s where you can get all our resume and cover letter templates, tips, and tutorials.
Ah, yes: the investment banking interview. Nothing could be more stressful and more inane at the same time – good thing you have these articles!
- 3 More Mistakes to Avoid When Answering the Most Important Interview Question
- Can You Tell Me About a Recent Deal?
- Do You Make These Critical Mistakes When Answering the Most Important Investment Banking Interview Question?
- Equity Value and Enterprise Value: The First, Last, and Only Guide You’ll Need to Master These Concepts
- How Investment Banking Interviews Have Changed in Recent Years – and How You Should Prepare
- How to Answer the “Why Our Bank?” Question in Investment Banking Interviews, Assessment Centers, and More
- How to Dominate Your Industry-Specific Interviews: Real Estate, Energy, FIG, and More
- How to Dominate Your Investment Banking Interviews and Win Offers
- How to Fail Your Interviews by Not Knowing 2 Crucial Words
- How to Learn an Industry So You Can Discuss It Like a Pro in Interviews
- How to Tell Your “Story” in Investment Banking Interviews in 2017
- How to Walk Me Through Your Resume in Investment Banking Interviews: The Top 6 Mistakes to Avoid
- Investment Banking Case Studies: What to Expect, and How Not to Choke
- Investment Banking Interview Ju-Jutsu: How to Spin Your Weaknesses Into Strengths and Answer the Tough Questions
- Investment Banking Tough Interview Questions: How To Answer the “Greatest Weakness” Question
- Investment Banking “Fit” Questions: How to Use the Rule of 3 for Quick and Efficient Prep
- It’s Not Rocket Science: Why You Should Stop Learning Partial Differential Equations If You Want to Break Into Investment Banking
- No Matter How Badly You Fail Your Investment Banking Interviews, You Can’t Do Worse Than This
- Summer Internship vs. Full-Time Investment Banking Interviews
- Superday Zen: Why Less Is More When It Comes to Interview Preparation
- The 3 Most Important Questions You Need to Ace Your Interviews and the 1 You’re Probably Getting Wrong
- The Investment Banking Deal Sheet: How to Win Job Offers with a Small Note Card
- The Investment Banking Interview Selection Process
- What Do You Do When You Interview at an Investment Bank and Never Hear Back?
- What Should You Pick For Your Major?
- Why Investment Banking?
- Why You Can’t Conquer Your Investment Banking Interviews – And What to Do About It
- Why You Didn’t Land an Offer in Your Final Round Interviews at Morgan Stanley
- “Unattractive, Poorly Dressed Applicants Need Not Apply”: Got Cultural Fit?
This one’s all about the strategy you use when recruiting. Tactics are great, but strategy is even better.
- 5 Lessons Rocky Can Teach You About Getting Into Investment Banking
- Age and Investment Banking: How Old Is Too Old to Break In?
- Degrees and Certifications: Got CFA + JD + MBA + MD?
- Don’t Overestimate the Competition: 2015 Edition
- Focus: The Secret to Getting Anything You Want?
- How Finance Interviews Have Changed in the Past 5 Years (2009 – 2014) – and How to Prepare
- How to Apply the 80/20 Rule to Your Recruiting Efforts and Get Into Investment Banking with 1/10 the Effort
- How to Break All the Rules and Hustle Your Way Into Anything – Jobs, Networking with CEOs, and Yes, Even Free Financial Modeling Courses
- How to Break into the Finance Industry as an Older Candidate: 6 Paths to Beating the Odds
- How to Fix Your Broken LinkedIn Profile and Create One That Makes Recruiters Come to You
- How to Get Brutally Honest Feedback and Double Your Results in Interviews, On the Job, and More
- How to Spin and BS Your Way to Success in Investment Banking
- Investment Banking Competitions: The Best Way to Make Up for Average Grades and No Work Experience?
- Investment Banking Recruiting as a First or Second-Year University Student: How to Survive the Insanity
- Is Finance Still a Good Long-Term Career?
- No, You Can’t Have It All: Why Finance Does Not Guarantee You $10 Million and Your Own Beach in Thailand
- Plight of the Polar Bear: How NOT to Find a New Finance Job After You’re Laid Off
- Should You Delay Your Graduation to Level-Up Your Internship or Full-Time Job Offer?
- Should You Transfer to a Top University to Boost Your Chances of Getting into Finance?
- Stuff Investment Bankers Don’t Like: The CFA, Your Activities, Your Ph.D., and More
- Stuff Investment Bankers Don’t Like: 2016 Edition
- The Myth of the Career Path
- The Secret Experiment I Just Performed On You – and Why You (Still) Shouldn’t Overestimate the Competition
- The Top 5 Mistakes Career Changers Make – and How to Avoid Them All and Make a Successful Transition
- To Change Yourself, Change Your Environment
- Warning: Don’t Give Up on Getting Into Finance Or You Might Miss… a Free Trip Around the World?
- What You Should Pick for Your Major, 2015 Edition: Is It Time to Start Learning Partial Differential Equations?
- Which Language Should You Learn to Break Into Investment Banking?
- Why Not Even a Boutique Investment Bank Will Hire You – And What to Do About It
- Will a Gap Year Really Help You Win More Finance Job Offers Than an Internship at Goldman Sachs?
- Your 6-Month Step-by-Step Game Plan to Finance Interview Prep, Part 1: What to Do in the Months Leading Up to Interview Season
- Your 6-Month Step-by-Step Game Plan to Finance Interview Prep, Part 2: What to Do in the 2 Weeks Leading Up to Interviews… and the Week After
- Your Biggest Obstacle to Interview Success: Trying Too Hard?
- Your First New Year’s Resolution: Stop Worrying About Minutiae and Focus on the Principles
Assessment Centers & Competency Questions
Another of Europe’s finest exports: assessment centers, instead of the superday interviews you see in the US, and competency questions to supplement your applications.
Sometimes, working with headhunters can be as much fun as a trip to the proctologist – but you need to suck it up and do it anyway.
Career Transitions – From Other Fields Into Investment Banking
You’ll learn how to break into investment banking from accounting, law, consulting, and maybe even pole dancing one day.
“Plan B” Options
So, what happens when you don’t win an offer… or a return offer… or you renege on your offer… or…
Recruiting in a Down Market
This was a series we ran way back after the financial crisis started in 2008 – while some of this is dated, the aggressive networking tactics recommended here still apply no matter what year we’re in.