You can find everything you need to know about what it’s like to work in investment banking below.
Although the focus of the site has shifted toward other fields of finance over time, there are still hundreds of articles on investment banking – from the hours and pay to the culture and what you do on the job.
And while most content these days is related to other industries, we do still continue to write a fair amount about the investment banking profession.
Bonuses, Salaries & Money
We don’t do this for love: if you’re working at a bank, you’re doing it to make bank.
- 2008 Investment Banking Analyst Bonuses: I Told You So
- 2008 Investment Banking Bonuses: Why I (Almost) Believe The Numbers
- 2009 Investment Banking Analyst Bonus Predictions: How Low Will They Go?
- 2009 Investment Banking Analyst Bonuses: Wait, What Bonuses?
- 2010 Investment Banking Analyst Bonus Predictions: Are the Good Old Days Back?
- 2010 Investment Banking Analyst Bonuses: Disappointed?
- 2011 Investment Banking Analyst Bonuses: Is the World Slightly Less Flat?
- 2011 Investment Banking Bonus Predictions: Is the World Flat?
- 2012 Bonus Recap: Investment Banking Bonuses Go Bust?
- 2012 Investment Banking Bonus Predictions: Has Your Bank Account Been Occupied?
- 2013 Investment Banking Bonus Predictions: Quantitative Fleecing?
- 2013 Investment Banking Bonuses: Is “Flat” Better Than Nonexistent?
- 2014 Investment Banking Bonus Predictions: How Much Can You Re-Inflate a Bubble Before It Pops?
- 2014 Investment Banking Bonuses: Capital in the Twenty-First Century?
- 2015 Investment Banking Bonus Predictions: Will the Tech Bubble or the Finance Bubble Burst First?
- 2015 Investment Banking Bonuses: Has the Countdown to a Total Market Crash Begun?
- 2016 Investment Banking Bonus Predictions: Will Trump Make Bonuses Great Again?
- 2016 Investment Banking Bonuses: Trump Didn’t Make Them Great Again… Yet
- From Analyst Monkey to King of the Jungle MD: The Investment Banking Hierarchy
- How Investment Banking Analysts Get Ranked for Bonuses: Roll the Dice, Please
- Investment Banker Salaries Vs. McDonald’s: Hourly Pay
- Tax Savings As An Investment Banker: Good Luck
- Why Bankers Don’t Make Bank: Where Your Paycheck Actually Goes and What to Do About It
- Why Investment Banks Make So Much Money
Day in the Life and Week in the Life Accounts & Stories
Everything from trips to Starbucks to fixing printers: it’s all here, in all its glory. From awful days to great days to everything in between.
- A Day in the Life of a Former Investment Banker
- A Day in the Life of an Investment Banking Analyst
- A Week in the Life of an Investment Banking Analyst: Friday
- A Week in the Life of an Investment Banking Analyst: Saturday
- A Week in the Life of an Investment Banking Analyst: Sunday & Monday
- A Week in the Life of an Investment Banking Analyst: Thursday
- A Week in the Life of an Investment Banking Analyst: Tuesday
- A Week in the Life of an Investment Banking Analyst: Wednesday
- The Best Day In The Life Of An Investment Banking Analyst
Lingo, Culture & Staying Alive
If you want to be a banker, you need to understand the lingo, the culture, and how to get your hands on a solid supply of cocaine.
- 7 Simple Steps to Avoiding Investment Banking Burnout
- Becoming Frank Quattrone: Investment Banking Lingo 2.0
- Defenders vs. Pillagers: How to Pick the Right Senior Bankers to Work With
- From the NFL to a Billion-Dollar Portfolio: Can You Throw a Football Far Enough to Become a Managing Director?
- Got Crystal Meth? The Breaking Bad Guide to Success in the World of Finance
- Got Protests? Why the Outside World Hates Wall Street – And What to Do About It
- Got Resolutions? (That You Can Actually Keep?)
- How to Spin and BS Your Way to Success in Investment Banking
- How to Succeed On the Job in Investment Banking: Are You a STARR or a TWAT?
- How to Win Friends and Influence People in Investment Banking by Slacking Off and Pretending to Work Hard
- Investment Banking Lingo: How To Walk, Talk And Act Like Gordon Gekko
- Investment Banking Wardrobe For Men
- Investment Banking Wardrobe for Women
- Post-Layoff Options: 8 Strategies to Pursue If You Get the Axe (and 3 Mistakes to Avoid)
- Reasons NOT To Do Investment Banking: Models And Bottles
- Staying Healthy While Staring At A Computer 18 Hours A Day
- Stuff Investment Bankers Like, Round 2: Email Forwards That Destroy Careers, Blue Shirts, Headphones, The Track, Markup, The West Wing, and Closing Dinners
- Stuff Investment Bankers Like, Round 3
- Stuff Investment Bankers Like: Trophy Wives, Talking About Cocaine, Pls Do, Buenos Aires, Making Empty Threats, Lying, and Reminiscing
- Styling for Success, Part 1: The Basics
- Styling for Success, Part 2: The Suit
- The 4-Hour Investment Banking Body: How to Keep Off the First Year 15 and Get In Shape While Sitting In a Cubicle Staring at Excel All Day
- The Don Draper Guide to Investment Banking
- The Holiday Party: Time to Hook Up With Your Assistant?
- Vacation Time in the World of Finance
The Work Itself
Believe it or not, some readers are actually interested in what you do as an investment banker, as opposed to how much you get paid or how much coke you snort.
So in this category, we go over everything from how you win clients to how you make pitch books to how to slack off and barely do anything at work but still make a ton of money.
- Bottles and Bottles? How You Really Win Clients and Land Mega-Deals as an Investment Banker
- Do Investment Bankers Actually Add Value?
- How to Write the Equity Sales Team Memo: The Best Part of Working in ECM?
- Investment Banking Fairness Opinions: Profitable and Prestigious, or Glamorless Gruntwork?
- Private vs. Public M&A Deals: Got Divested Assets and a Stepped-Up Tax Basis?
- The Definitive Agreement: Time for Bankers to Cross-Dress as Lawyers?
- The Initial Public Offering (IPO) Process: Got Facebook Shares?
- What Do Investment Bankers Do?
- What’s In a Pitch Book?
- What’s in a Confidential Information Memorandum (CIM)?
- Why Most M&A Deals Fail: Love and Marriage?
- Why You Actually Work So Much As an Investment Banker (Yes, Even in a Recession)
- Why You Won’t Close a Single Deal in Your First Year of Banking – and What to Do About It
- Will Crowdfunding and Marketing Automation Disrupt the Traditional Investment Banking Business Model?
Preparing for Work
So you’ve got an internship or full-time job offer lined up… now what do you to prepare in advance and beat the competition? That’s what we cover here.
- How to Dominate Your Investment Banking Sell Day
- How to Pick Your Group as an Investment Banking Summer Analyst
- How To Pick Your Team At An Investment Bank
- How to Prepare for Your Full-Time Investment Banking Job
- How to Prepare for Your Investment Banking Summer Internship (If You Haven’t Already Started)
- So, What Should You Do at Investment Banking Summer Training Besides Getting Wasted Each Night?
- The Jack Bauer Guide to Investment Banking Success: 11 Reasons Why Watching 24 is Better Preparation Than Financial Modeling Classes
- What You Should Do When You’re On the Beach – Besides Working On Your Tan
- Why You Shouldn’t Start Your Investment Banking Job Early
- You Just Got a Full-Time Investment Banking Offer – Now, What Do You Do Before You Start?
Find out what you do as a summer intern, how to avoid screwing up, and how to get a full-time offer.
- 10 Investment Banking Internship “Don’t”‘s: How Not To Screw Up
- Accelerated Investment Banking Recruiting in London: The Best Way to Move to Another Bank?
- Blackstone vs. Goldman vs. Evercore vs. JP Morgan: How to Decide on Summer Internship Offers
- Do Banks Create a Toxic Workplace Culture That Puts the Lives of Their Employees at Risk?
- How Investment Banking Summer Internship Recruiting Has Changed in 2016
- How Summer Interns Get Full-Time Offers
- How To Dominate Your Investment Banking Internship
- How to Prepare for Investment Banking Summer Internship Recruiting
- How to Prepare for Your Investment Banking Summer Internship in Less Than 8 Hours
- How to Switch Banks and Upgrade Your Full-Time Offer with Investment Banking Accelerated Interviews
- So, What Will I Do As An Investment Banking Summer Analyst (Besides Get Abused)?
- Summer Internship Recruiting: Down, But Not Out
- The Investment Banking Summer Intern Success Guide: Yes, You Better Get My Coffee
- Tips From A Former Summer Analyst And Soon-To-Be Full-Time Analyst
- What to Do When Your Summer Internship Sucks and You Can’t Make It Better or Leave Early
How to Quit Your Job
Only 2 things in life are certain: death and taxes. For investment bankers, getting fired or quitting is an additional certainty.
- Exit Opportunities as a Post-MBA Investment Banking Associate: Impossible is Nothing?
- How to Quit Your Investment Banking Job Without Getting Executed
- Sample Farewell Email: How To Go Out In Style
- The Conference Room: How You Get Fired In Finance
- To Leave, or Not to Leave: Is That the Question?
- When Things Get Bad In Investment Banks: Expense Czars
Random Misfortune & Mistakes
This one’s a collection of horror stories about working as a banker – plus, what happens when bankers screw up and make huge mistakes that sink the economy, or at least their own bonuses.
- 5 Easy Steps To Piss Off Your MD And Become The Laughingstock Of Your Office
- Attention To Detail: A True Story
- How to Break Your Car Window and Your Fist in One Fell Swoop: Recession-Induced Rage
- How to Ruin Your Weekend in 3 Easy Steps
- Investment Banking Mistakes: What Happens When Interviewers Hire the Worst Person for the Job
- Saturday Night In Investment Banking: How To Ruin A Dinner
- The Worst Time To Be An Investment Banker: Friday At 4 PM
The Hierarchy & Promotions
How to play the office politics game and make sure you’re moving up the ladder without stepping on any toes. Oh, plus a lot of references to all the TV shows I’m obsessed with.
- “Great Communication Skills”: Talk Your Way Into Top Bonuses?
- From Analyst Monkey to King of the Jungle MD: The Investment Banking Hierarchy
- From Analyst to Associate and Beyond: How to Get Promoted In Investment Banking
- If a Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and Managing Director (MD) Fight to the Death, Who Comes Out Alive?
- The Office Politics Game: How to Climb the Ladder Without Being Assassinated On Your Way to the Top
- The Review Process: Scratch My Back, I’ll Scratch Yours
- Trust No One, and Keep Your Dragon Close: The Game of Thrones Guide to Climbing the Corporate Ladder
- Why Do Investment Banking Associates and Analysts Secretly Want to Kill Each Other?