How to Get 6 Hours of Free Industry-Specific Financial Modeling Tutorials… Plus Bonuses
Let’s skip the preamble and get straight to the point: I am releasing a brand-new set of completely free financial modeling tutorials for you today.
The tutorials released in June last year were an “upgrade” over the previous set we had, and taught key modeling concepts based on a $16 billion M&A deal (United Technologies’ acquisition of Goodrich Corporation).
This set is all about industry-specific financial modeling: banks & financial institutions, oil & gas, and real estate and REITs.
If you have no interest in learning financial modeling or you already know all about accounting, valuation, and transaction modeling in these industries, you can ignore this announcement.
But if you’re… slightly interested in getting a crash course on these topics, you should read on and sign up below:
How to Sign Up in 2 Steps
First, enter your email address via the form below to receive these tutorials (if you’re reading this via email or RSS, click here to visit the site and sign up):
Next, if you have NOT signed up for any of the other newsletters or free tutorials here before you will receive an email that asks you to confirm your interest in the tutorials.
It will look something like the message below:
Click the link to confirm, and then you’ll receive Tutorial #1 right afterward.
Note that you must confirm your email address or you will not receive any of these free tutorials.
If you HAVE already signed up for the newsletter here or other free tutorials, then you won’t receive a confirmation email, and instead you will just receive Tutorial #1 right away.
After you get this first free tutorial, you’ll receive the next several in the series a few days apart from each other.
What If You Don’t Receive Anything?
If you have waited 24 hours and not received anything:
- Please check your spam filter to make sure that the emails were not automatically sent there instead.
- If you really haven’t received anything after 24 hours, try signing up using a different email address.
What’s In It for You
You’ll get 6 hours of free financial modeling tutorials that cover the following topics:
Bank & Financial Institution Modeling:
- Overview – Business Model, Accounting, and Valuation
- How to Build a 3-Statement Model for a Commercial Bank (in 3 Parts)
Oil & Gas Modeling:
- Overview - Business Model, Accounting, and Valuation
- How the Standard DCF Analysis Translates Into a Net Asset Value (NAV) Model
- How to Build a Net Asset Value (NAV) Model for Occidental Petroleum (in 2 Parts)
Real Estate & REIT Modeling:
- Overview - Business Model, Accounting, and Valuation
- How to Link Individual Properties and REITs and Project a REIT’s Income Statement
Some of these tutorials are more conceptual than others, but you will still get practice using company filings and equity research to get the information, especially with the oil & gas tutorials.
Beyond just “learning financial modeling,” the focus here is on the key topics that are likely to come up in interviews.
For example, if you went in to interview with a Financial Institutions Group at a bank, they would almost certainly ask you how a commercial bank’s business model works and how you would project its 3 financial statements differently from those of normal companies…
…which is why the Bank tutorials are all based on that.
Giving Away What Others Would Charge You $1,000+ For
Most other training companies would say it’s crazy to give away this much material for free.
Luckily for you, I enjoy doing crazy things.
Yes, I do hope you find these tutorials helpful and then sign up for the full modeling courses offered on BIWS – but even if you don’t, there is a ton of value in just the free material we give away.
Plus, I enjoy cannibalizing other peoples’ “business models.”
If you keep watching your inbox closely after you sign up, you’ll also receive additional bonus tutorials:
- Quick Reference Guides for all 3 industries that lay out the content in the videos (and more) in textual form.
- A Guide to IB, PE, and HF Case Studies – including real examples of case studies that readers have received in these interviews, how to approach them, and the case studies you’re most likely to receive for each industry.
And there may be more as well - but you’ll have to sign up below to gain access and see for yourself:
Q: If I’ve already signed up for the actual modeling courses you offer, should I still sign up for these free tutorials?
A: If you want to learn about these specific industries, yes.
If you have no interest in these industries and/or you’re not going to work in one of these groups, this set of tutorials won’t be as helpful.
Q: What if I’ve already signed up for one or more of your industry-specific modeling courses?
A: You could still sign up for these tutorials if you want, though everything here is covered in the full courses.
The advantage is that these models are slightly different and might be better for time-pressured case studies, since they’re simplified over the more detailed examples included in the courses.
Q: What’s next? Will you have even more free tutorials? What about industry XYZ?
A: The free sequences we have already cover many of the key concepts for “normal” companies – and now for the industries that are the most different.
So no, there probably won’t be additional sets of structured tutorials like this in the future – we already give away more than many other companies would charge thousands of dollars for in multi-day classes.
But that doesn’t rule out… OK, I’m going to stop there and not say anything more.
Q: But seriously, what about mining… I’m Canadian or Australian…
A: I’m aware that this is probably the most commonly requested industry topic. Two small problems, though:
- I’ve never been able to find any good materials on the sector (and no, believe it or not I don’t know everything, so I would need to learn some of it myself first).
- It’s similar to oil & gas and there would be quite a bit of overlap.
If you have already signed up for the oil & gas modeling course, feel free to contact us and I can send over a few documents that have good examples of mining valuation and explain how it’s different.
And if you’ve come across some sort of amazing resource on financial modeling for mining – training materials used by real banks or actual models used at real banks would be best – feel free to send it over and it would speed up this possible future addition.
Make sure you sign up to receive this set of free tutorials right away:
And watch your inbox closely over the next few months, as you receive all these free tutorials, the bonuses, plus a whole lot more.
Break Into Investment Banking
Free Access to Exclusive Content for Members Only!
Sign up for The Banker Blueprint today and enjoy:
- Free Report: 37-page guide with the action plan you need to break into investment banking - how to tell your story, network, craft a winning resume, and dominate your interviews.
- Exclusive emailed bonus material.
- Free Banker Blueprint newsletter with more in-depth advice.
- Unlimited access to all articles, videos, and advice - and free updates whenever new content is added to the site.