Five Ways To Make Your Resume Sink Faster Than The Titanic

183 Comments | Investment Banking - Resumes

124 Flares 124 Flares ×

NOTE FOR RANDOM INTERNET VISITORS: If you just landed on this article and you are NOT interviewing for entry-level investment banking or private equity roles, PLEASE IGNORE THIS STUPID ARTICLE.

This entire site, and this article specifically, are dedicated to the finance industry.

Therefore, if you are applying for roles such as marketing, sales, technology, customer service, etc. and you are NOT in the finance industry, this article will NOT be relevant for you.

The standards below describe specifically what employers of entry-level professionals in investment banking, primarily, are looking for. So if that does NOT describe you, please navigate away from this article as it simply does not apply to you.

With recruiting season upon us, I’ve seen a huge increase in resume review volume and general questions on resumes lately. Despite my previous articles on investment banking resumes and private equity resumes, I still see many basic mistakes that can be corrected quite easily.

1) Got Pages?

If you’ve got multiple pages, I’ll tell you one thing you don’t got: an interview. Because if I see more than one page on your resume, it’s going straight to my “not” pile.

I don’t care if you have 10+ years of experience in consulting and finance and even started your own clock manufacturing company; if you’re applying to junior-level positions and your resume is over a page, it’s unacceptable.

I’ve reviewed hundreds (possibly thousands) of resumes over the years and have yet to see a single example of an Analyst or Associate applicant who truly needs more than a page.

In fact, I’ve even reviewed VP-level resumes and in most cases, multiple pages are still unacceptable.

Only if you’re a Managing Director or C-level executive would a multi-page resume be appropriate.

If you can’t reduce your resume to a single page, you need to cut out less relevant experience. If you’ve already worked at Blackstone, no one cares about your part-time job at the library… trust me.

2) Objective: Get Rejected

Whenever I see an Objective section on a resume, I mentally replace “Obtain an Investment Banking Analyst position” with “Reject me! I really don’t want this job!’

Objectives are redundant because everyone knows what your objective is: to get a job in finance.

If you’re from a non-traditional background – a Ph.D student who wants to move into M&A, for example – you might think an Objective is “necessary” to show recruiters what you’re doing.

If you’ve done your job correctly, though, you have already presented your story in-person to recruiters and to your contacts at banks, so there’s no need to reiterate it on your resume. And you should have already “bankified” your experience such that it’s clear you’re not looking for a post-doc research position.

Your experience and interactions with industry contacts should demonstrate what your objective is.

3) Fluent in English

I see this one mostly with international applicants. If your resume is in English, please don’t remind us again that you’re fluent in the language.

For most finance jobs you need to be native speaker-level in the language you’re working in; the precision required is simply too high for anything but absolute fluency to suffice.

If your resume is in English, I assume you are fluent in the language. By writing it on the resume, you raise questions over how good you are and whether or not you know enough to write 50+ page documents.

Of course, if your resume is in Chinese or Arabic or Spanish and you’re applying for a local office that uses a language other than English, feel free to write this.

4) High School Valedictorian

I don’t care whether you were Urkel or whether you were Fonzie in high school, and no one else does either.

Maybe if you’re still a freshman or sophomore and you’re applying to banks you can list high school information. But for anyone older, avoid listing high school information like the jocks avoided the nerds in high school.

It takes up valuable space and prevents you from writing about what really matters – work and leadership experience, and why you’re fit to be a financier.

If you went to a prestigious high school (Andover / Exeter) with many alumni in banking, you might want to list high school information for networking purposes, but in all other cases avoid it.

5) Proficient in Word, Excel and PowerPoint

This is another case where I do a mental replacement – I swap “Proficient in Word, Excel and PowerPoint” for “Proficient in Breathing Oxygen” and then wonder what the person was thinking.

Of all the gaffes listed here, this one might be the most common in resumes I’ve reviewed. This alone is not enough to “sink” your resume, but I do think you look silly listing programs that virtually everyone who has worked in an office before knows how to use.

If you know a programming language such as C++ or Java, go ahead and list those; advanced statistical and financial analysis programs are also fine to list.

Just as with “Fluency in English,” I assume you are “fluent” in Word, Excel and PowerPoint. So don’t re-assure me.

NOTE FOR RANDOM INTERNET VISITORS: If you just landed on this article and you are NOT interviewing for entry-level investment banking or private equity roles, PLEASE IGNORE THIS STUPID ARTICLE.

Therefore, if you are applying for roles such as marketing, sales, technology, customer service, etc. and you are NOT in the finance industry, this article will NOT be relevant for you.

The standards above describe specifically what employers of entry-level professionals in investment banking, primarily, are looking for. So if that does NOT describe you, please navigate away from this article as it simply does not apply to you.

About the Author

is the Founder of Mergers & Inquisitions and Breaking Into Wall Street. In his spare time, he enjoys learning obscure Excel functions, editing resumes, obsessing over TV shows, and traveling so much that he's forced to add additional pages to his passport on a regular basis.

Break Into Investment Banking

Free Access to Exclusive Content for Members Only!

Loading the player...

Sign up for The Banker Blueprint today and enjoy:

ebook
  • Free Report: 57-page guide with the action plan you need to break into investment banking - how to tell your story, network, craft a winning resume, and dominate your interviews,
  • Exclusive emailed bonus material,
  • Free Banker Blueprint newsletter with more in-depth advice,
  • Unlimited access to all articles, videos, and advice - and free updates whenever new content is added to the site,

We respect your email privacy

Read below or add a comment...

183 Comments to “Five Ways To Make Your Resume Sink Faster Than The Titanic”

Comments

1. KL says

Perfect timing on posting resume advice… I’m working on mine right now! Could you please elaborate what constitutes good leadership experience for a rising sophomore? I’m looking to get leadership positions at finance clubs at my school. In the meantime, would recruiters view 4 years of instructing in Taekwondo as a good leadership experience? Thanks a lot, I’m enjoying your site tremendously.

• says

That’s hard to answer because it depends so much on what you’ve done… honestly leadership positions at clubs are almost meaningless, it’s more about work experience and what you’ve done there. You can list the taekwondo but I would focus on internships and trying to get in as many as possible.

2. AKB says

What about listing SAT Scores, AP Scores and SAT II Math Scores, are those also to be avoided from listing under high school stats?

3. MD says

Really good points. However, I speak more than one language and I think it is appropriate to put English even if it is your native tongue down and never had one interviewer mention it, but I understand how it could be viewed as obvious. Is it really that big of a deal though?

Also I think one thing after working at investment banks was embarrassed by was some formatting errors that I made (and luckily, I think at least, they were overlooked) on a specific resume I sent out to a few places one time. The spacing, size of font, bold, alignment is important I think especially if you are interviewing for a job that requires ultra attention to detail. (i.e. one dash of a bullet point is short but the other one is long). Ok anyways my 2cents.

Great post as usual. Thanks for the insight.

• says

Oh there will be more parts to this series, I see so many resumes every day it would be hard not to write about :)

On the languages, it’s not really THAT big a deal, but again I do think it looks a bit silly to write. I speak other languages as well but I only list those… just seems odd to write English.

4. XSTR says

Is a one page CV enough for a PhD as well? What do you think about articles in journals, scholarships, teaching activity, should I include them?

• says

Yes, I’ve reviewed about 10 PhD resumes lately and I’ve made all of them 1 page or less.

Articles/publishing and such – you can list them, but minimize and focus on teaching/leadership/team experience instead.

5. e/r says

I’ve been doing an internship in e/r this summer, and that’s pretty much the bulk of my finance work experience as a rising senior. the rest of my resume is pretty irrelevant because i used to be a marketing major, so they’re all in marketing…so what should i do if my resume doesnt fill up a page? would the not directly relevant experience matter at all?

• says

No still include it but minimize it and focus on the equity research internship. You want to spin the marketing experience into sound like project/client-based work.

6. Ryan says

At what level would it be appropriate to NOT list SAT scores on a resume? I have a pretty good SAT score, but it’s not terribly impressive. I have a pretty good math score with a 760, so I feel like that would be somewhat useful, but my verbal is nothing more than a bit above average. Would it be worth it to put down my score just for the math?

• says

You should actually always list SAT scores unless you’re an MBA or have 5+ years of experience… just one of those things banks like to see.

7. Doug says

The vast majority of your info is helpful, however, I would just like to say that I applied to a boutique I-Bank with a two-page resume. I was called the following day to set up an interview. I have heard the one-page advice before, but I tend to disagree with it due to past successes. Just a note, otherwise I like what you’re doing here!

8. Hugo says

About the native language thing, is it really true that you need to speak English at a native level to work in a London (or other major city) office? I can’t speak four English words without showing a denouncing accent. Does this chop my feet on the spot?

• says

Accents don’t matter that much… tons of bankers from international backgrounds and the majority of English speakers in the world have some type of accent so that’s usually fine.

However, you do need to be able to read/write/speak/understand everything a native speaker could – so if you have to listen to an investor call detailing quarterly earnings, for example, you would understand everything perfectly.

Banking is VERY language intensive and requires top-notch skills across the board.

9. AJ says

2 questions:

1. Is the summer invst. Bank. analysts jobs just for “targeted school”, ” “juniors in college”? How bout recent college graduates? Where is the light for no so Ivish school kids? What should they do?

2. How should a science major (bio) with resume loaded with internships at medical school (ivy), college write a Invst. Bank. resume. Have some volunteering experience.

Thank you for your suggestions.

GIVE ME SOME DROP OF HOPE.

• says

1) Internships are almost impossible to get for recent graduates… because you’re not a student anymore. You can still go for FT even if you graduated. There’s no magical secret – it’s a ton of hard work and persistence over months, networking with alumni and everyone else you can meet.

2) Focus your writing on your leadership skills and the “real-world” results of your research rather than the technical science side.

10. Slick says

Hi,

In regards to SAT scores/high school results. What happens if your high school results aren’t really competitive but u got a 3.5gpa going to a top college. Will banks reject me because of this? thanks

• Slick says

A few people say that u should always put ur SAT scores on especially in hedge funds because they apparently always ask for it. Would u ever suggest the extreme of repeating the SAT just for this sole purpose of clearing up some old ‘holes’.

Thanks again

11. MechE says

I graduated with my BME (Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering) last spring and have been working for just about a year in the defense industry. While I was an undergrad I had an internship at a DoD contractor (most recent), and an engineering consulting company (construction side). I have discovered recently that I am more interested in I-banking / trading then what I am currently doing. A problem that I am running into when creating my I-banking resume is that I can not go into depth/detail on most of the things I have done/worked on as they are either classified “need to know” or protected by NDA’s. Additionally, a person in I-banking/finance would most likely have no knowledge of the programs I have used at my current job(not including the ms office suite). Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• says

Then just use fake names or names like “Defense Contractor” rather than giving the actual name… if you don’t give a real name, you can write whatever you want.

Also, focus on the business results rather than all the technical details… that looks better to begin with, plus I’m pretty sure that the technical details are what would be under NDA.

12. Jen says

Regarding the objective section on resumes, is it really unnecessary? I’ve seen it on all my friends’ resumes and online templates. Also, I’m an engineering students so would it be different for technical jobs compared to finance? or consulting?

Also, about the GPA, I’ve talked to a defense company rep, and he said to include it regardless how low it might be. Would that still apply for finance companies or consulting companies? I have above a 2.5

• says

I would never include an objective on your resume.

GPA: if it’s above 2.5 then keep it on just to prove that it’s not like a 1.3 or something.

13. J F says

Dear Sir,

I would like to learn about what kind of attitude I should draw into my resume and cover letter. I have been hearing contradicting suggestions from multiple recruiting agencies and interviewing advisors. In short, “One should express definite confidence” against “One should not be overly confident as it may sound unrealistic.” Please consider these criterion as I deem they’re the strongest selling points. I have been at two different industries, the credit cards processing industry as an Account Exacutive(sales) and Analyst( or researcher), and the Mutual Fund research industry as a Research Analyst. Altogther, about 2+ years of finance experience rigt after college. What’s convincing is, I have been the very TOP producer at every post I held, especially with curent position as a Mutual Fun Analyst. And many other wonderful merits, as of contributing feasible ideas on projects, trianing new hires, collaborativeness with colleagues, etc.

Question is: Should I (or not) mention all those achievements and sound very confident as I will certainly succeed as a top Investment Banking Analyst?

Problem is: I only have an Associates Degree in Business Management.

Question is: Would the Banks consider or ever hired someone with an Associates Degree in Business? (I am targeting on small to mid size banks with staffs from 40-100)

All advice will be predenty considered and appreciated!!!

J F

• says

You should mention the achievements, but don’t go overboard. Don’t write you were the “best” everywhere, just give some indication of numbers and that you were one of the top performers. Most banks only hire people with Bachelors Degrees.

• says

If they ask for their numbers then yes, they will – otherwise if just listed on your resume they won’t necessarily call them.

14. MF says

Thanks for the article, it was very helpful.

Many people put “Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PPT” because either they are unsure what else they can put (if they have had no previous banking experience) or because they think they have to put it so they are the same level as the majority of the others who write it.

What are some useful skills you could list to make you a better candidate? The first thing that comes to mind are modeling skills such as DCF, comps, etc.

But what else can a person put, especially if that person does not know how to model. This is the case for freshmen or sophomores who are just getting into finance and have had no experience. Would a simple solution be to learn to model? Since you probably have to know the basics of modelling for an interview anyway…

I understand programming languages can be listed, but I’ve also heard they don’t really help. People who have interned have told me that you rarely use programming in an internship/job.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

• says

As you said, modeling skills or programming skills. Honestly bankers don’t spend more than 5 seconds looking at this section anyway, it’s irrelevant next to your school and work experience.

15. MF says

Also, one more question…

What if you went to an international high school in another country, say “Shenzhen American School” from China. Would you still omit “Fluent in English” from your resume? My guess is that you would, since the resume is in English and since you go to college in America, but I just want to double check… Thanks.

16. Michael says

Going off the word, excel, powerpoint issue, I would assume proficient in using factset and quickbooks would be irrelevant to put down?

17. Ted Pookins says

Hello,

If I am fluent in speaking and understanding spoken Chinese but have a little trouble writing, more trouble reading, and don’t know any financial terms in the language, would this still be an asset to me? What should I write on my resume?

Thank you.

• says

I would not write “Fluent” unless you can write 10-page papers on complex political and economic topics with no trouble. Just say “Conversationally Fluent” instead.

18. Schreck says

The proficient in Word and stuff. What is I have my MCAS(Microsoft Certified Application Specialist). Should I add that?

19. Celine says

Hi,

Could I please forward you my resume? It’s almost done now but I want to make sure I don’t have anything silly on it :-)

Thanks a lot in advance!

20. John says

Is writing my birth date on my resume one of the ways to make it sink faster than the Titanic? When applying for an internship position in London (from France)

21. Mark says

i don’t know if you think you can speak to this, but do you think sticking to one page and discarding a professional summary or profile or whatever at the beginning are similarly desired by industry/management types?

Your template seems natural to me, what I would think any normal corporate person would also be looking for, quick and to the point, except that all the advice out there recommends against it for industry/management types. And often the internet discussion by recruiting/HR types delivers conflicting advice, but they all seem to think a little more “meat” than bullet points, a proper summary/introduction at the beginning, and at a certain point in your career, a single page makes you look inadequate. What does you experience tell you?

• says

Honestly I have no idea – I only provide templates and advice for finance resumes. In other industries you can get away with summary statements, multiple pages, etc. but I’m really not an expert there.

22. chen says

so if i don’t have any technical skills other than word, excel and powerpoint, would you just recommend that i just exclude that point?

i’ve done dcf and comps for a case competition before so would it be a good idea to put that down in place of word, excel and ppt?

thanks!

23. CN says

If I include my trading competition experience (my team is going into the national final) in my resume for Research division, will they bug me about why I am not applying to trading instead?

24. says

I work overseas and have noticed that the one page rule is not as strictly adhered to in most places as it is back in the US. Could it be looked at as a bad thing to only have one page when applying in other markets?

Also, I was thinking about including with my one page CV an interactive spreadsheet which has much more detail about specific transactions or initiatives that I have worked on. This would inlude deal descriptions, background, pictures (most are real estate-driven or infrastructure related on a very large scale), etc… Would this creative approach be a. ignored b. suicide or c. appreciated?

• says

I would still keep it to 1 page b/c you might be applying in many different markets and want as much re-usability as possible. The only country that encourages multiple pages is Australia (see the resume template article).

Do not include a spreadsheet… bad idea, it will be forwarded around similar to the video resumes that have embarrassed people before.

25. SH says

Hello,

Regarding listing language fluencey on a resume, if I’m a native speaker of Chinese, would I rather say “fluent in Chinese” or “native speaker of Chinese”?

My concern about the latter is that the person reading it would automatically assume that I’m not as good in English as a native English speaker, or even worse, that I’m on a student visa and needs additional paperwork if they were to consider me for a position?

26. Kevin says

Hi,
    I am a final year student. Do you think I should write Experience first or Education first on my resume?
    Also, do PEs recruit fresh graduates as analysts? If yes, then what kind of PEs?
    Thank you very much.

27. Jon says

With a lower GPA from a small state school, would you choose to stay in school longer to do double major accounting/econ with finance minor; or take a lower gpa and use your great story to get into a good mba program?

28. Gabriela says

I’m currently on an F-1 student visa but I have an Optional Practice Training (OPT) after I graduate that allows me to work in the U.S. for up to 18 months.

I’m graduating from a small university but have a double major in international business and economics, a 3.98 GPA and speak 4 languages. So my questions are:

1- Should I include my immigration status on my resume or is it an automatic deal breaker and should leave for the interview?
    2- What would you say could the best way to “break into investment banking” given my circumstances (F-1 visa and not coming from an ivy league school)?

29. Graduating Senior says

I’ll try not to make this question to wordy…

If your coursework in several classes has included doing case studies of actual companies where you analyse problems the company is facing and/or company data and then write a report from the standpoint that you are an outside consultant for the company, would that be relevant information you could include on a resume? If so would you put it under the education section?

(Additional Info: Case studies are sometimes individual projects, other times group projects, and usually include presenting the information in a professional manner in class)

• says

If you don’t have real work experience (formal internships for example) then yes, you could highlight that type of experience. I would probably list it under Education but if it gets to be too long you can list it under Work & Leadership experience esp. for group projects.

30. Anik says

I am penultimate year student in a top 10 engineering school in India. I have already published two research papers in international conferences and have 3 engineering internships and an abroad internship from a world-renowned University. But I don’t have any internships in finance.I have also qualified FRM Exam Part 1.
    I would be applying to the IBs for FT soon(probably outside India).
    I am building up my resume and would appreciate it if you would provide me with some guidelines on how should I go about it in accordance with the Resume template?

31. Vicky says

Dear Sir: Thank you so much for your valuable insight. I am 2nd year extecutive MBA student (Finance concentration) at tier 1 school. I have around 12 years of experience in IT. Can I transition into investment banking at an associate level ?

32. cynthia says

Hi, I will be applying to college in the fall as a senior. I know you said it wasn’t necessary to put an objective on the resume but shouldn’t colleges know what I want to pursue or what my future major should be? Thank you very much.

• says

If you’re applying to an investment bank for a specific role just leave it out otherwise for more generic stuff maybe

33. Bperlady says

I really don’t agree with some of the comments that are in this article. I have applied for jobs that require that you are proficient in MS Office. So, why wouldn’t you put it on your resume. Just because a person has totalled a few columns or done a little data entry in excel doesn’t mean they are proficient. Most people have not even done a simple VLookup. Also, two pages has been deemed acceptable for many employers. If you are an analyst who has had five or six jobs, the jobs have to be listed. Otherwise how will the employers know your experience. I don’t know about this article.

• says

That may be true but here we’re talking about *investment banking* resumes specifically. Quite a bit different from other industries, and they care less about nonsense like MS Office and don’t have time for multiple pages. See the rest of this site.

34. SS says

I am a Iraqi War veteran finishing up my degree in Econ at a top public university. Since February I have been interning in the corporate development department at a top independent oil and gas company. I have one year left until I graduate and want to know how to make my resume more I-banking attractive?

• says

Focus it on deals and how you’ve saved time/money or brought in revenue/potential revenue… see the resume templates on the Recruiting link at the top of the page.

35. jenn b says

for the job I am applying for, it asks candidates to be proficient with MS Excel, MS Word, and Outlook, which I am, should I not restate that on my resume? or just wait until the interview, (if I get that far)

36. JC says

Hi, I worked for a global banking firm (for 8 months) and resigned a month ago due to my decision to immigrate to US. Do I need to indicate on my cover letter the reason I left this prestigious financial firm?

Thanks a lot!

37. Mike says

You’ve specified several times that you only work with financial professionals, do you think accounting is closely enough related to benefit from these tips? I’m applying for Big 4 internships and I’m specifically curious about SAT scores and lists of relevant coursework.

38. David says

sort of disagree with the microsoft office one. almost everyone i know, actually everyone i know puts profficient in word, excel, powerpoint. If you dont put this on your resume, maybe recruiters will think that you dont know how to use it at all.

39. Steve says

Should SAT scores be listed out of 2400 or the old format of 1600? I’m assuming 1600 because I feel like banks don’t really care about your writing score. Also, is 1380/1600 good enough to list?

Thanks.

40. Desperate Undergrad says

Hi,
    So I followed your cold calling advice on this website for the first time yesterday with a local boutique bank – and the FIRST bank I called got back to me TODAY. I left a message yesterday evening and a couple hours ago today, the managing director gave me a call and we talked. He pretty much knows I have no technical skills or any experience in finance and that I’m only a sophomore in college majoring in Economics. It’s a real estate investment bank and he kept asking me what facet of ibanking I’m interested in and what specifically I hope to learn in the next couple months (he knows I’m taking a break for the semester to get some real work experience and returning back to UNC chapel hill in the spring). I was not able to answer those questions and basically told him I’m pretty much a blank slate right now and would appreciate any kind of hands on experience to get my foot into the finance industry. I’m not sure if that was the best answer to give, but that’s all I could come up with. I think I also stammered a lot b/c I’m a terrible interviewer and hate being put on the spot. Nevertheless, he said he wants to help me because he thinks I’m proactive to actually do some research and pick up the phone and directly call him (thanks to your advice!!) and he wants me to email him a resume tonight. My question is, should I use your one-page university student template still or give him a more detailed resume (like 1.5 pages?) since he’s probably not going through a whole stack of resumes? He also invited me to an economic panel event where he serves on the board of next Tuesday and said we could talk more during the break in between the event – I am guessing he is going to want to talk through my resume and learn more about me and maybe test what i know about the company/IB in general. I think he knows I have no technical IB skills and I already told him I’m interested in learning what an IB analyst does and that I’m thinking of going into Corp. Finance or IB as a future career and haven’t really explored/had interest in other areas of finance. Also, he said he’s probably going to let me job shadow him for a little bit, so I don’t know how that could aid me versus an IB analyst internship (although I guess this could turn into one?) I’m not sure how to prepare for this “interview” or what type of resume to send him tonight… HELP?

• Desperate Undergrad says

oh and I only called two local boutique banks yesterday btw – both forwarded to a message in which I followed the script to introduce myself that’s on Banker Blueprint pdf, and then left a number for them to get back to me. so I’m still waiting on the other bank to call or else I’ll follow up with them – but anyways, what I’m trying to say is cold calling is a great technique b/c majority of the people are usually not brave enough or don’t think about doing it. So thank you so much Brian (and everyone else who writes on this website)! Let’s just hope I don’t screw it up on Tuesday… any advice/tips are welcome!

• says

You should have said something about real estate and researched it a bit before – definitely still use the university student resume template. I wouldn’t think too much about this or over-analyze – just do a bit of research beforehand, see what the event is about, be prepared to walk through your resume ,etc.

41. Kristen Dumbeck says

Thanks for the tips!

I was wondering if you recommend putting references on our resume, or just waiting until asked to pass those on? I would like to apply to summer internships at Pimco, GS, Blackrock…

Also, is it acceptable to have professors as references?

42. KK says

I am applying for Summer Analyst. Could I put my high school information because I was top 10 of the class with 4.2 GPA and a State AP Scholar (one male and one female from each state)?

• M&I - Nicole says

Its your resume. If you want to include the info, just include it. No need to ask us our thoughts; you know what we think. P.S. While we appreciate your numerous questions on your resume, I’d suggest you to refer to our numerous resume templates & articles if you have other questions

43. Rafael says

Any thoughts on having “Emergency First Aid” on your resume under ‘certifications & training’? Basically, the intro level CPR and first aid course in Canada.

44. malibu says

Hi
    I’m applying for spring weeks as a Swiss student. I finished High School 2 months ago and had an average grade of 5.17 (6 is outstanding), which means that I was fourth-best out of 72. Is this good enough to mention? I think I shouldnt write the rank, just the average grade. Right?

Thank you so much!

45. Zorain Iqbal says

Did Anyone Mistakenly Tell You That Your CV Should Not Be More Than One Page in Length?
    That’s what they told me, and they were wrong! Especially for Dubai. In a couple of networking events and meetings, I handed out my one-pager, and people were turning it over to see what’s more. There wasn’t any. One guy asked me, “only one page?” From then on, I expanded my CV into two full-pages, and the phone started ringing!

• M&I - Nicole says

Is that right? Maybe this is your experience in Dubai; we will have to agree to disagree. In my limited experience of talking to over a hundred people and numerous global financial firms in HK and NY, interviewers generally don’t spend more than a few mins (that is already a lot) looking at my resume. If people had kept their resume longer than one page interviewers would lose their attention. And in my limited experience, brevity is key – you can just highlight the key points; no need to keep your resume verbose. In a lot of cases, the resumes I’ve seen that are over a page long are verbose and disorganized with experiences that are dated. I’ve seen some candidates with impressive experience who kept their resume sweet and short. If I were the interviewer, a resume which is over a page would show me that the candidate hasn’t thought through how to present himself/herself. In my and many people’s opinions, the resume should be a one page doc that opens you the door. The interview is where you expand your experiences and give the other party a chance to know about you in details.

If the above is your experience, we respect that. However, by saying that we made a mistake, I believe you have mistakenly made an assumption that everyone shares your same experience and views the process the same way.